“Vacant Doesn’t Make It”
I love this Staging Saying coined by Barb Schwarz, The Creator of Home Staging® and my personal mentor and Staging Mama! And she is absolutely right. Vacant houses do not feel larger to Buyers and they are not a blank slate for a Buyer to visualize living in with their things.
Consider this well known statistic: Less than 10% of the population can see things in a different way. That means a vacant house lacks appeal to 90% of the buyers out there!
This property would have sold without Staging - but because it was Staged and showed so well it got multiple offers and SOLD for $50K OVER List!
Why Vacant Does Not Make It!
- Vacant rooms are cold and empty.
- Buyers cannot tell how large or small a space is when it is empty – especially from a photo.
- Buyers cannot tell what room they are looking at especially when all the rooms are the same paint color – and just a square space with a window.
- Buyers will notice all the “minor flaws” in the room – scratches on the floor, baseboard that needs painting, etc. – because there is nothing else to look at in the room. They focus on the condition versus the possibilities.
- Buyers may believe the Seller is desperate to sell since they moved out and are now carrying a mortgage on an empty house.
- Staging helps define the use and purpose of the room.
- Staging helps highlight the focal points of the room.
- Staging helps Buyers envision how to place their furniture in a room.
- Staging helps add color and visual appeal for Buyers online and in person.
- Staging gives Buyers something else to focus on rather than minor flaws and conditional issues.
Just because the market is “hot” around the country does not justify putting a house on the market with the expectation that it will sell because what is being left on the table is MONEY for the Seller. Agents need to be providing information on every tool available to help a seller net the MOST from the sale of their house.
Getting an estimate to Stage is usually a complimentary service or provided at a nominal cost. How can a Seller make an educated decision about Staging when they don’t even know the price? Sellers need to get the information from a Stager that owns and operates a business, not from the Agent that does not know Staging pricing for THAT property.
So go ahead – LOSE money - leave money on the table by not Staging. Or be a WINNER and part of the proven statistics that show time and time again, a Staged house sells at a better price. According to National Association of Realtors – anywhere from 5-20% of your list price! Be an educated Seller and work with Agents that understand how to get you the BEST Staged and SOLD price!
For help with Staging in the greater Denver market give Jennie a call (303)717-7918 or 888-93-STAGE and online www.SensationalHome.com. Jennie is also networked with Realtors that include Staging as a standard part of their listing services and pay for some or all of the service and she would be happy to provide their information to you.